Every year I challenge myself to read more books than the year before. Last year, I read 28 books (you can see my list here!), and this year I made it to 37 books! I will put a disclaimer in saying that this includes audiobooks. I love to physically read a book, but with my busy on-the-go life, having the option of audiobooks is so helpful. I usually have at least one physical book and one audiobook going at all times. I listen to my audiobook as I get ready at the gym, shop for groceries, commute to work, do the dishes, etc. And I pick up my physical book at night in bed or whenever I can find a spare moment.
Reading is so very important. It removes us from our present circumstances. It challenges how we see the world. It expands our understanding of the world around us.
That said, for my own memory’s sake and for the sake of sharing some book favorites with you, I present my 2016 reading list!
My #1 Fiction Pick from 2016: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
If you like historical fiction at all, read this book. It was my first read of 2016, and it remained my favorite of the year. This was one of those “can’t put it down” books for me.
Other notable fiction reads were Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen (I’ve read it before and seen both movies dozens of times, but it’s too good to read just once), Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson, and anything by Francine Rivers. This year was the year of re-reading old favorites for me (as in…all of the Harry Potter books and Francine Rivers favorites).
My #1 Non-Fiction Pick from 2016: Big Magic by Liz Gilbert
I liked this one so much that I listened on audiobook and then bought the physical copy. If you have even a single creative bone in your body, this is worth reading. It will inspire you.
This was a year of lots of great non-fiction for me. Other notable reads include Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown, Without You There Is No Us by Suki Kim, When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi and My Life in France by Julia Child.
Without further ado, here is my complete reading list!
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner
- Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen*
- Harry Potter & The Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling*
- Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling*
- Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
- Harry Potter & the prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling*
- Harry Potter & the order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling*
- Harry Potter & the goblet of fire by JK Rowling*
- Harry Potter & the half blood prince by JK rowling*
- Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling*
- Mark of the Lion by Francine Rivers*
- Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers*
- An Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers*
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling
- Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson*
- Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson*
- Christmas Short Stories Charles Dickens*
- Redeeming love by Francine Rivers*
- The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens*
- The Greatest Generation Speaks by Tom Brokaw*
- Fallen by Annie Lobert*
- American Sniper by Chris Kyle*
- American Wife by Taya Kyle*
- Big Magic by Liz Gilbert*
- I Said Yes by Emily Maynard
- Eat, Pray, Love by Liz Gilbert*
- Without You There Is No Us by Suki Kim*
- The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau*
- Wreck My Life by Mo Isom*
- Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northrup*
- Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
- If You Ask Me by Betty White*
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi*
- My Life in France by Julia Child*
- The Magnolia Story by Chip & Joanna Gaines
- Crisis of Character by Gary Byrne*
It was a good year of reading! I’m already in the middle of four books in 2017, so I think I’m off to a good start!